WESTCLIFF surged back to winning ways with a 49-15 victory at Westcombe Park.

The victory, which was Westcliff’s third in four games, came after they had been beaten 33-28 by Sidcup in their previous outing.

And Westcliff’s director of rugby Rick Compton was happy to see his side get back on track.

“We were intent on bouncing back this week after the setback at Sidcup and we have to be delighted with the result,” said Compton.

“We played well at times and scored some very good tries.

“It wasn’t a complete performance because we still did a few silly things and ran down a few blind alleys but overall it was very encouraging.

“Shutting them out in the second half was especially satisfying as we gave a few cheap points away in the first half.

“Overall, we have had a great start to the season and we are very happy with where we are.

“There will be, I am sure, tough days ahead but right now we are in fine form and fettle as we look forward to the visit of Guildford to the Gables this weekend.”

Westcliff’s trio of wins in the opening month of the season sees them sitting fourth in the London & SE Premier Division standings.

And their latest triumph came after a bright start which saw Jack Jones fire them in front with a penalty after just five minutes.

Moments later, a turnover ball at the scrum created an opportunity Westcliff were quick to exploit, releasing Sam Brown to score in the corner to secure an 8-0 lead.

The hosts hit back with a converted try before Jones kicked another penalty to put Westcliff 11-7 in front.

But the final 10 minutes of the half saw a flurry of points with Westcliff having more of the success.

On the half hour mark, Charlie Jobling was on hand to finish off a fine move with good hands before Joe Vandermolen touched down after a pushover from the scrum.

Jones was able to convert one of the tries before Westcombe Park replied with a try of their own.

However, Westcliff went straight back on the attack and scored in the final action of the half when Ross Merrick crossed on the left wing to put Westcliff 30-15 in front.

Unlike last week, Westcliff were able to keep it going at the start of the second half with well executed tries from Merrick and Brown making it 42-15 in the opening 10 minutes of the half.

With the game now realistically over as a contest, Westcliff began to ease off and Park enjoyed a sustained period of pressure during which they aimed to add to their tally.

But Westcliff were ferocious in defence and, despite a yellow card, they were able to keep the hosts out.

And, as the game drew to a close, Westcliff threw off the shackles and returned to Westcombe’s territory, where Jones strolled through an unattended gap at the breakdown to touch down under the posts before also adding the conversion.

Westcliff: Brown, Stol, R Smith Jones, Merrick, Whiting, Branch, Brown, Morrant, Binneman, Jobling, Edwards, Maloney, Marsh, Vandermolen Replacements: Macintyre, J Smith & Reynolds