The Football Association insist the search for Fabio Capello's successor as England coach will not turn into a beauty parade.
On Thursday, FA chief executive Alex Horne confirmed it would be the end of the season before they were in a position to make an appointment. That is down to the sensitivities of approaching clubs at a delicate stage of the season.
Indeed, it has even been suggested that the shortlist has already been narrowed to two contenders, Tottenham's Harry Redknapp and Jose Mourinho, who is on the brink of landing his first Primera Division title with Real Madrid. However, Press Association Sport understands Mourinho is not under consideration.
A senior Club England source has rejected the idea of the charismatic Portuguese taking control.
"This story was not checked with the Club England management board and is without foundation," said the source.
Instead, the FA are determined to take whatever time necessary to get the right man. Redknapp remains the overwhelming favourite. However, the timescale may prove impossible unless Tottenham's status in next season's Champions League is secure.
In that instance, it would seem to make sense for Stuart Pearce, who took over as interim coach for last week's friendly defeat to Holland, to remain in charge.
Pearce has already tweaked a number of the preparation plans Capello had put in place for this summer's European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.
However, the former Three Lions skipper is adamant he does not expect to play any part in the appointment of Capello's successor.
"The Club England board will go through a due process," he said. "In all honesty, that is nothing to do with me and I wouldn't want it to be anything to do with me. It is totally their decision."