PLUMBERS had a lucky escape after their van caught fire while they were driving along a busy Southend road this morning.

Mark Bond and Tarik Ural had ironically just bought a fire door from B & Q, when they were driving along Sutton Road and smoke started to enter the front of their transit van.

The workman quickly pulled over only to open the back of the vehicle and see it engulfed in flames.

The van and the contents within it were destroyed within minutes.

Two Southend fire crews wearing breathing apparatus attended the incident just after 11am and extinguished the fire within half an hour, with the use of one hose reel jet.

For the full story see tomorrow's Echo.