A MAN was left fighting for his life and another was seriously injured following a double stabbing in a Southend street.

A fight broke out in York Road at about 9.40pm on Wednesday - close to a caravan linked to drug dealing.

Residents told how they watched paramedics battle to save the pair.

A 22-year-old man suffered a serious chest injury while a 39-year-old was stabbed in the back.

One resident, who did not want to be named, said: “When I got there, there was a man lying on the pavement with his top off just outside a caravan.

“It looked like the emergency services were trying to revive him.

“There was also a black Mercedes parked up with one of its doors open, but I don’t know if that was anything to do with it.

“I think a lot of the problems around here are drug related.

“I don’t know what’s happening to this street.”

The Echo can reveal that officers raided the caravan three weeks ago and arrested three people for drugs offences as part of the police’s ongoing crackdown, Operation Raptor.

Police spent time at York Road on Wednesday carrying out community reassurance patrols from a mobile police station - with the brawl breaking out less than 30 minutes after they left.

An Essex Police spokesman said the patrols were part of an operation that has been in place since April and were unconnected to any specific incidents or intelligence.

Another York Road resident, who asked not to be named, said: “There was a riot in the street. It was like a shouting match between a load of youngsters all pushing each other.

“It’s not unusual for this road.

“It happens all the time and it’s a pain in the backside.

“There were police down here all day yesterday knocking door-to-door down the street and they had their mobile police office based in the car park.

“This all kicked off after they had left.”


The air ambulance landed near Sea Life Adventure, in Eastern Esplanade, and took the 22-year-old to the Royal London Hospital for specialist treatment.

The 39-year-old was taken by ambulance to Southend Hospital.

Rick Davis, duty manager at the ambulance service, said one of the victims was found inside a “property” - but would not confirm whether this was a house or the caravan.

He said: “On my arrival it was clear to see that the first patient was seriously injured with a decreased level of consciousness.

“The patient was in a serious condition upon the arrival of the first paramedic with his condition deteriorating rapidly as we dealt with his injuries.

“The patient was removed from the property and taken to the ambulance. At about this time the Suffolk Accident and Rescue Service doctor arrived on scene.

“The patient’s condition was continuing to deteriorate, despite the paramedic interventions and so he was sedated at the scene.

“The patient, now unconscious and having his breathing managed, was accompanied by the East Anglian Air Ambulance crew - a doctor and a critical care paramedic - and then taken to hospital.

“The second patient, whose injuries were not as serious, was taken by the second ambulance crew to hospital by road.”

Both ends of York Road and Heygate Avenue were cordoned off by police for most of the day.

Acting chief Insp Gary Lane, Southend district commander, said detectives are still trying to piece together what happened.

He said: “We have got a crime scene being preserved by officers between Queensway and Baltic Avenue.

“We have had a stabbing incident with two males stabbed. They are in hospital with serious injuries.”

Asked whether the incident was connected to another stabbing that took place in the town centre on Sunday night, he added: “We have got no idea what the motive is at this stage.”

Det Chief Insp Martin Pasmore, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “I’d like to thank witnesses who have helped with our enquiries so far and am appealing for anyone who saw what happened but has yet to contact police to come forward.”

Anyone with information can call police in Southend on 101.


'We are used to trouble in our street'

HARDENED residents faced with bloody scenes told how they have grown used to drug dealing, violence and even murder.

Those heading out to work early yesterday morning were reluctant to speak to the Echo about the horror stabbing they had witnessed the night before for fear of repercussions.

It is easy to understand their fear, with one man dressed in a hoody making a gun gesture towards our reporter and telling her: “You’ll be next.”

A businessman, who owns a shop in York Road, said: “There is always fighting on this street. This is York Road. It’s what we’ve come to expect.

“Of course it affects my business because they have closed the road and it makes people scared of the area.”

A resident in nearby Whitegate Road, who did not want to be named, said she would rather move back to east London than remain in the area.

She said: “I think it’s disgusting. I’m moving away as soon as I can because I don’t want to put up with it anymore. 

“This stuff happens all the time round here, particularly on York Road.

“I think it’s all drug-related. Everyone knows that. It’s just disgusting. I want to move and that’s coming from someone who used to live in east London.”

In July 2014, London-based student Hassan Mohammed, 24, was knifed to death in York Road by fellow Londoner Tajwar Alam, 19.

Mr Mohammed died at Southend Hospital the day after he was stabbed. Alam was later jailed for a minimum of 20 years.

Another fearful resident, who lived in York Road when Mr Mohammed was killed, said: “Nothing has changed. Whatever the police try and do, nothing works.

“The drug addicts attract dealers and the dealers create more addicts.”