A DEPRESSED man who died after stepping out in front of a train was prescribed a drug which could have exacerbated his symptoms, an inquest heard.

Richard Hobart, 27, was struck on the London-bound track at Pitsea train station at about 8.15am on Monday, December 5.

An inquest into his death heard the kitchen fitter - who was also suffering from insomnia and a back injury - had been prescribed anti-depressants, sleeping tablets and anti-anxiety drug diazapam.

His family believe the diazapam may have played a contributing factor towards his death as it can cause medical complications when taken alongside anti-depressants.

Dr Jacob Joseph, a partner at The Surgery, in Long Riding, has agreed to meet with the family to discuss any concerns.

Speaking after the inquest, Mr Hobart’s family paid tribute to the avid fitness fanatic, from Basildon.

His father, Steve Hobart, said: “He was a very loving and caring man, we have missed him every single minute.

“We are looking to arrange various events, to raise money for charities who specialise in suicide.”

Dc Tony Gittins, from the British Transport Police’s fatality investigations team, gave evidence during the inquest.

He said it was unclear how Mr Hobart - a former pupil at the Bromfords School, in Wickford, accessed the track. The train’s front camera was not working as it should have been at the time of the death.

Mr Hobart leaves behind his father, mother and brother Chris.

Following his death, the family launched a Go Fund Me donation page to help pay for the funeral costs following the unexpected loss.

It raised £5,585.

In a joint statement, his family wrote: “Richard was loved by everyone that knew him and by everyone that ever met him.

“A man that will be truly missed, who will remain in our hearts, and our memories forever. A man that brought smiles and laughter wherever he was and whoever he was with, a man that would always put others before himself.”

Caroline Beasley-Murray, the senior coroner for Essex called Mr Hobart a “handsome, athletic, and clearly loved man.”

Addressing the family, she added: “I would like to express sympathy to you all for your loss.

“I hope you will be able to think back on those happy memories you had.”

The inquest took place at the Essex Coroner’s Court, in Chelmsford, yesterday.