A bedroom has been severely damaged after a toy charger caused the room to set on fire.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at 6.05pm this evening (March 16) in a three storey property in Woodside, Leigh.

Crews from Leigh and Rayleigh were dispatched and, when they arrived, a bedroom on the third floor was on fire and smoke had filled the whole floor.

The occupants, who were home at the time, closed their internal doors as they left the property, which stopped the fire and smoke spreading to the rest of the house.

Firefighters had extinguished the fire by 6.40pm but the bedroom where the fire started has been left badly damaged.

The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental, due to a charger which was being used at the time to charge a toy.

The fire service have said that incidents like these show how important it is to make sure you are safe from electrical fires at home.

Follow these simple tips to reduce risk of charger fires in your home:

Make sure the outer covering of all power leads is in good condition. Replace frayed or damaged cables or leads.

Being badly positioned. They shouldn’t be anywhere that they could be tripped over, or near water, cookers or other sources of heat.

Never run them under rugs or carpets where they can wear through without anyone noticing. Position them elsewhere.

Don’t leave items on charge or plugged in overnight or whilst you are out of the house.

Never leave plugged in and turned on when they are not in use.

Don’t leave items on charge for long periods.

Only use the charger supplied by the manufacturer.

Look out for the CE mark that indicates chargers comply with European Safety standards