AN inmate at Chelmsford Prison hung himself after getting into debt and being bullied at the jail, an inquest heard.

Marc White, 20, was found dead in his cell just before 9pm on September 28 last year.

Chelmsford Coroner’s Court heard White “feared for his safety” and ruled that although his death was accidental, his fears had “significantly contributed” to his death.

The court heard Mr White went into his cell at 4.15pm and a roll call should have been carried out within the next hour and 15 minutes.

However, this was not done and Mr White was later found dead.

The court ruled: “Marc came to his death through self-suspension between the hours of 4.15pm and his formal declaration of death at 9.00pm at HMP Chelmsford whilst locked alone in his cell B2-17 on September 28, 2016.

“We accept in evidence that an evening roll check had not been carried out as required at or before 5.30pm on September 28, 2016.

“It therefore cannot be concluded that the fact that the roll check was not done caused or contributed to Marc’s death.

“Marc Anthony White died as a result of an accident. Whilst in prison, Marc was in debt and being bullied. He feared for his safety and this significantly contributed to his death.”

Three men from south Essex have died at the jail in the last 18 months.

Timothy Shaw, 33, from Basildon, was found dead at the Springfield Road jail on February 28. He had been jailed for six months for a robbery and driving offences.

His death follows that of Basildon man Dean Saunders in January last year, and Rochford man Craig Royce on Christmas Eve.

An inquest in January into the death of Mr Saunders found there had been serious failings at the jail.

The 25-year-old was found electrocuted in his cell and a jury concluded the father-of-one killed himself while “the balance of his mind was disturbed, and the cause of death was contributed by neglect”.

The jury said there was an absence of clinical leadership in the healthcare wing and confusion regarding the head of healthcare’s qualifications by members of staff.

Mr Saunders was arrested after stabbing his father and brother, before attempting to turn a knife on himself.

The inquest heard he was most likely suffering from paranoid psychosis.

It is not known why Mr Royce was in prison, but he had previously been sectioned under the mental health act.

Inquests into the deaths of Mr Shaw and Mr Royce will take place later this year.