AN electric car left on charge outside an office building was destroyed after catching fire.

Fire crews were called to reports of a car fire at about 4am on Sunday outside an office building near Rettendon Turnpike, Wickford.

On arrival firefighters reported that the car was 100 per cent alight and that the building it was parked outside was becoming smoke logged.

By 6.25am firefighters had extinguish the fire, ventilated the building and ensured that the scene was safe.

The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental, and was due to an electrical fault.