An elderly couple are homeless after a fire in their garage severely damaged their home. 

Four fire engines were called to Underwood Square, Leigh, yesterday on 5.47pm.

On arrival, fire fighters reported that the garage was completely alight. The smoke from the fire had also built up considerably and left the bungalow, which is next to the garage, entirely smoke logged.

Crews worked very hard to contain the fire to the loft area of the garage by 6.14pm. The officer in charge called for an Aerial Ladder Platform (ALP) in order for crew members to tackle the fire from a height.

Roof tiles were also cut away to ensure water reached hotspots, which crews identified using thermal imaging cameras.

The fire was extinguished completely by 6.48pm, but due to the severe smoke damage to the bungalow, two elderly people have been rendered homeless.

Firefighters remained at the scene until 8.14pm to support the couple. The Red Cross also came to help them find an alternative accommodation. 

The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental.