A GANG attacked a takeaway driver with a metal bar fracturing his skull.

The driver, who works for Wok and Roll, is reported to have been repeatedly hit over the head with a metal bar by the gang who also smashed his car and stole the food.

He was rushed to hospital following the incident in Oak Lane, Crays Hill.

A spokesman for Essex Police: “We received reports at around 9pm on Monday, July 30, that a man was assaulted in Oak Lane, Crays Hill.

“We were called after a takeaway driver was approached by four suspects and hit with an unknown object to the head at the junction with Oak Road.

“The suspects then smashed the victim’s car window before leaving the scene.

“The victim was taken to hospital for a fracture to his head.”

A councillor has raised concerns and sent well wishes to the victim.

Terri Sargent, conservative councillor for Crouch said she is just gobsmacked to hear what has happened.

She said: “This guy was just doing his job, and then this happened.

“Will he want to go deliver to that area again, I doubt it.

“I hope he has a speedy recovery.

“One would think that delivery drivers would find this concerning.

“It is a job where people are going to doors when they don’t know the people they are delivering to.

“I hope that it doesn’t affect the business at all.

“The best thing now would be for the man to make a full, quick recovery.

“And for the police to catch these people to reassure the public.”

She said she feels terribly saddened for the business and the victim as they are just trying to earn a living.

The business delivers to Basildon, Wickford, Pitsea, Vange, Laindon and the surrounding areas.

Anyone with information or dash cam footage is asked to call Basildon CID on 101.

Those who may know something should quote crime reference 42/109754/18 when calling police.

Alternatively witnesses can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

The car was returned to the business at Repton Court, Repton Close, Basildon following the incident.

Wok and Roll was contacted for a comment but did not wish to speak about the incident or whether cameras or other security measures would be added to protect staff.