NUISANCE riders have been warned their motorbikes will be crushed by police fed up with the daily problem on Canvey Island.

Officers have seized a motorbike, which could be crushed, and ordered a teen to complete a drug rehabilitation program after the latest outbreak on the island.

Police were called to King George’s Playing Field off Poplar Road to deal with the incident.

A 15-year-old boy was detained, taken to a police station and issued with the order after cannabis was found on him.

Sgt Mark McQuade, from the Castle Point Neighbourhood Policing Team, said it was a good result.

He said: “Officers are on the island most days because of problems with bikers.

“They received information about issues with bikers around the park area and they managed to get there and three people made off from the bike.

“I think there were two people riding the bike, the PCSOs gave chase across the park and detained one male who had cannabis on him.

“He was taken to the police station and dealt with for possession and was given a community resolution order and has to do a drug rehabilitation program.

“We have seized the bike and are looking for markings, it appears the registration number was not on the bike and the identification number had been erased.

“It could be stolen and we need to find the owner, if we don’t it will be crushed.”

Sgt McQuade said it was a really good piece of work by the PCSOs and police officers.

He added: “I think there was a football match going on at the time of this, and the residents were overwhelmed by the work of the officers.”

Jan Payne, Canvey Indepedent councillor, said: “I am extremely pleased to see this action being taken. It would be good if they could catch some more.”

Ray Howard, veteran Tory councillor, said: “I am pleased that this bike and drugs are off our streets and off our island.

“I think residents living nearby the park will also be as delighted about this as I am.

“I also hope that this serves as as strong message for others people who are doing this that it might happen to them too.”

The latest incident happened on Sunday, September 30. The resolution was accepted.