ARMED robbers have been jailed following a series of terrifying raids.

Convicted killer James Gubb was out on licence while Mickey Murphy was trying to support a £400-a-week drug habit when they carried out their crime spree.

Murphy, 21, and Gubb, 38, both admitted carrying out a terrifying raid on the Canvey Labour Club while armed with fake guns on November 10.

Murphy also admitted three other robberies, across south Essex, and one attempted robbery while Gubb admitted one further count of robbery.

Murphy was jailed for six years and Gubb for five years at Basildon Crown Court yesterday,

Murphy went on a robbery spree between October 17 and November 26 last year including, with the help of Gubb, storming the social club on Canvey armed with imitation guns and demanding cash.

Charlotte Davison, prosecuting, said: “When Murphy entered, he immediately shouted ‘get on the f***ing floor’ and the gun was raised up and he walked right over to the bar manager and pointed the gun straight at him.”

Ms Davison went on to say that, while Gubb served as look out, Murphy was told most of the money had been banked.

He went over to the few remaining customers and shouted “I’ll do it - I’ll blow his f***ing brains out” before forcing the manager to open the till and making off with just a couple of hundred pounds.

He also targeted William Hills, in High Road, Basildon, where he passed a note to the lone female worker which read “I have followed you home - fill the bag” but he was disturbed before he could take the cash.

The following day he targeted a branch of Ladbrokes in Benfleet, where he enlisted Gubb’s help, and again he demanded money by handing the workers a note. This attempt was successful.

Murphy also admitted robbing a Sainsbury’s in Shoebury, where he brandished a large knife, and a Co-Op on Canvey.

The court heard Murphy had been addicted to cocaine since he was 17 and had built up a drug debt of £2,000.

Mitigating, Christopher Martin said dealers regularly threatened violence if he didn’t pay them back their money.

Mr Martin added: “His mother’s car was set on fire and a bullet was left on the doorstep of his home.

“There were direct threats of violence towards every female member of his family so he decided his only option to pay that back was to embark on a spree that brought him here today.”

Murphy, of First Avenue, Canvey, was sentenced to six years in prison in total for the series of offences.

Gubb, who was out on licence for murder was handed five years in prison. In 2000, Gubb, of no fixed abode, was convicted of killing of 18-year-old Tony Mahoney.