A MAN was rescued by firefighters after he tried to battle a blaze at a home in Basildon this lunchtime.

The accidental fire started as a result of plumbing contractor carrying out hot works at the property at Chesterford Gardens.

A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, said: "When fire crews arrived at the property, they reported that the fire was in the loft and roof area and the whole house was affected by smoke.

"Firefighters immediately went into the house and found a man trying to fight the fire on the first floor.

"Firefighters got the man outside safely and administered first aid. They left him in the care of the ambulance service.

"Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire by 1.20pm and stopped it from affecting the adjoining houses."

The fire service also confirmed that the property did not have any working smoke alarms and urged that every home should be protected by working smoke alarms on every level of the property.