Two teenagers have been jailed for a total of 21 years after stabbing a man six times on a train.

CCTV showed two attackers chasing the victim through the streets and into Westcliff train station on October 22 last year.


Jailed - Abdi Hashi has been jailed for 13 years for GBH

They were joined by a third man at the station - Abdi Hashi - and all three cornered the victim, aged in his late teens, on a waiting train and stabbed him six times to the neck, chest and leg.

All three fled the train when it arrived at another stop.

Fortunately, his life was saved by an off-duty nurse and a member of St Johns Ambulance who were on board. 

He was then taken to a hospital in London where he underwent emergency surgery and spent the next two weeks in hospital.

The attackers; Hashi and a 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were both found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm. The third teenager was never identified.

The court heard the victim had been chased from a nearby takeaway and CCTV footage shown to the court depicted the 17-year-old running after the victim with a machete alongside the unidentified teenager.

Hashi, 19, was seen joining the group at the station. 

Hashi and the 17-year-old were tracked down and arrested a week later; Hashi at his home in Harrow, and the 17-year-old at his home in Southend.

Det Con Insp Sam Blackburn of the British Transport Police said: “It’s very fortunate this attack did not result in a death; and it’s a testament to the professionalism and skill of the medics that the victim will live another day. 

“The victim and his attackers were known to each other and the incident itself is believed to have been gang related. Nevertheless, this was a vicious assault and both attackers will serve a substantial period of their adult lives in jail. I hope their sentences will force them to question their violent behaviour.”

Hashi was jailed for 13 years in prison, and the 17-year-old was jailed for eight and a half years.