A ONE-day-old baby who died in Basildon Hospital was neglected, an inquest ruled.

Ennis Pecaku died in the hospital at 2am on September 28 last year, having been born at 7.39pm the previous day.

He had been born in the breech position, meaning his legs came out first, and the cause of death was established to be asphyxiation during vaginal breech delivery.

The inquest, held at Essex Coroner’s Court in Chelmsford, heard that Ennis had also suffered asphyxiation for at least 25 minutes before his birth.

At the court today, senior coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray recorded a narrative conclusion to Ennis’ death.

She said: “In the later stages of pregnancy, baby Ennis was in the breech position, and on September 17 an attempted external cephalic version to move him was unsuccessful.

“On September 26 baby Ennis’ mother attended Basildon Hospital for a caesarean section, but this was postponed until October 2, and his mother was sent home.

“On September 27, Ennis’ mother attended the hospital after a spontaneous rupture of membranes.

“Baby Ennis was delivered by breech delivery at 7.39pm. He very sadly died at 2am the next morning.

“There were serious failings in the care provided to baby Ennis and his mother by Basildon Hospital.

“More timely intervention would have probably resulted in a better outcome.

“Baby Ennis would have probably survived had he been born before 7.16pm.

“His death was contributed to by neglect.”

Mrs Beasley-Murray described the case as “very sad” but stated she was pleased to hear from hospital representatives that steps had been taken to improve their care in the future.

In a statement released after the conclusion, Ennis’ parents, Edmir Pecaku and Emma-Louise Davies, from Grays, welcomed the ruling.

They said: “We are please over the conclusion of the coroner, and that the series of failings identified of providing basic medical care to Louise and baby Ennis amounted to neglect.

“Whilst the hospital may have made changes, nothing will ever change the outcome for our family, and the devastating loss of our son.”