RAM-RAIDERS have smashed through the front of a newsagents in a car.

Police are searching for two men after they were alleged to have deliberately driven into the front of a Billericay newsagents.

The men, reportedly driving a black Audi A3, drove into the front of Martin McColls, on Grange road, at 1am on Wednesday, crashing through the glass panels and leaving the entrance destroyed.

The business was forced to close for “security reasons,” with a police cordon surrounding the entrance throughout Wednesday morning.

Councillor David Dadds, former mayor of Basildon said: “It’s a serious matter.

“It’s concerning that a vehicle was used to try and break in.

“I have every sympathy to everyone who works there.

“This type of crime is rare but it still affects staff, customers and the community.

“I hope the police gather as evidence as they can.

“They need to speak with the community too.

“This is quite disturbing, especially as it’s a targeted crime.”

A spokesman from Essex Police, said: “We were called at around 1.30am on Wednesday, July 31, with reports that a vehicle was used to damage the front of Martin McColls, in Grange Road, Billericay.

“We received information that two men drove what we believe to be a black Audi A3 into the shop front.

“They then drove off after the shop alarm was activated.

“The men have been described as being white and aged in their 20s and remain outstanding.

“Anyone with information is asked to call Basildon police station on 101 quoting crime reference Crime Ref 42/121996/19 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.”

One resident on Grange Road, told the Echo: “It’s really bad.

“I go there every week and to see it like this is not nice.

“I like to keep the businesses in our community, so I will keep on supporting them.”

Another shopper added: “It’s shocking.

“Someone deliberately did this.

“I hope everyone is okay.

“They must have been going at some speed to cause that much damage.

“I hope someone either knows them or saw the car driving nearby.”

Martin McColls declined to comment on the incident following the raid.