A DANGEROUS driver was chased through a number of roads before ramming a police van and parked car.

The high speed police pursuit took place across Canvey on Friday. 

Police tried to stop the driver of the BMW after the driver was spotted driving erratically across the island.

The car then crashed at the Waterside Farm roundabout on Canvey, but still managed to escape the officers.

Many residents saw the drama unfold at about 5pm on Friday.

Barry Cox, 50, of Hilton Road, Canvey, said: “I saw the police chasing the car down my road at a speed.

“I’ve never seen anything like it before in my life, they were all driving so fast.

“My first thought was that it must have been something very serious.

“It was all very dramatic and shocking to see.

“I didn’t go out but I saw a few people in the street watching what was going on.

“This is a really nice quiet area and nothing really ever happens here.”

Patricia Coleman, 40, from Canvey, also recalled the drama.

She said: “I was just pulling out of the golf club near Waterside Farm Roundabout, and suddenly lots of police sped past me. It was a bit of a shock to be honest and I almost hit them.

“I am glad to see the police on Canvey more, we need to sort out lowlifes coming on to the island just to do criminal activities.”

Witnesses also took to Facebook.

Joan McDermott posted: “There was a crash at the top of my road.

“The silver car smashed into a parked car, then into the unmarked police car, reversed onto my friend’s front nearly knocking her over and then sped off.”

Other residents posted on social media asking what had happened.

Essex Police is appealing for witnesses to the incident to come forward.

A spokesman for the force said: “A BMW failed to stop for officers in Canvey Island shortly after 5pm on Friday August 30.

“Officers pursued the vehicle through several streets on the island, before the vehicle rammed our patrol car and a member of the public’s car, and made off.

“Enquiries are ongoing to locate the vehicle and the driver, and anyone with information is asked to call 101 and quote incident 972 of 30 August.”