A CYCLIST has died following a suspected hit and run crash with a lorry.

It happened in Rawreth Lane, in Rayleigh, at about 10.30am yesterday.

Police say a lorry driver has been arrested.

He was still being quizzed by police last night as the Echo went to press.

A spokesman for Essex Police said: “We attended and, sadly, the cyclist who is a man in his 60s, died at the scene.

“The driver of the lorry, a 55 year-old man from Leicester, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and failing to stop at the scene of a collision.

“He is currently in custody.

“We need to speak to anyone who saw the collision or has dash cam or CCTV footage to come forward.

“In particular we need to speak to anyone who saw a white, silver curtain-sided lorry in the lead up to the collision or afterwards and how it was being driven.”

It has been met with shock in the community with residents sending well wishes to the victim’s loved ones.

Kelly Gardiner, 22, from Rayleigh said: “I know the road was closed for several hours while police dealt with the incident.

“This so sad and I want to send my sincerest condolences to his family from me and my family.

“I can’t image what this poor man’s family and friends will be going through at this time - it’s so awful.

“It sounds to me like the police have taken swift action in dealing with this tragedy.”

Andy Boxer, 54, from nearby Hockley said: “I am so shocked at what’s happened and very saddened.

“I drive this road every day on my way to work and can’t believe it.

“It doesn’t bear thinking about what this poor family will be going through and I hope they get the support and help they will need.

“I also hope that anyone who saw anything does the right thing and tells the police as soon as possible.”

Rebecca Dowsett, 33, of Rayleigh, added: “I am so sorry to hear of this.

“I did see a lot of traffic in the morning around this area.

“It’s all everyone has been talking about and had sent shock waves through the communities.”

Anyone with any information should call Essex Police on 101 quoting incident 327 of November 5.