FAMILIES are overwhelmingly supportive of plans for a swimming pool at Pitsea’s Eversley Leisure Centre.

Hundreds of families had their say on the Pitsea pool consultation with 80 per cent of the 600 who responded saying they would use it every week and the other 20 per cent at least monthly.

With community support confirmed Basildon Council is due to discuss options and costs at a meeting on Wednesday.

It is hoped the project will them go out to tender.

Councillor Andrew Ansell, vice chairman of the neighbourhoods and public spaces committee, said: “It is clear from the consultation findings that there is a desire for additional swimming pool provision in this part of the borough.

“Around 80 per cent of the 600 who responded to the consultation said they would use a pool in Pitsea at least once a week.

“The addition of a swimming pool to Eversley leisure centre would complete the centre’s status as the sports hub for Pitsea and could be a very exciting development for the area, which has been deprived a pool for some time now.”

Of the 600 responses, only 40 per cent said they currently have access to a swimming pool, while 45 per cent said they would walk to the new facility.

Councillor Luke Mackenzie, Pitsea south east councillor, also welcomed the support from residents.

He said: “One of the first things councillor Craig Rimmer and I did when we got elected in 2018, was to get the council behind a new swimming pool in Pitsea.

“It was clear from residents that this is needed and wanted.

“I am glad that the work we have done on this is now starting to pay off, this is a positive step forward.

“We will continue to support the construction of the pool, and will not let it get abandoned or kicked into the long grass”

Eversley Leisure Centre, owned by Basildon Council and managed by Everyone Active, currently has a 65 station health and fitness suite, workout and spin studios, is used as a base by South Essex Gymnastics Club and has a 3G football pitch.

Should approval be given for the council to tender for work a further report will follow.

Plans are currently being drawn up for an extension at Billericay swimming pool. There had been discussions of building a new pool, but following a fire at the site in September last year, the decision was taken to expand the site along with improvements.