A PETRIFIED mum fled her tower block home with her three children as yobs threw fire bombs at her window.

Police and four fire engines raced to the Chiltern Flats, on Coleman Street, Southend at about 12.10am yesterday.

Several residents reported “flames falling from the top of the building” fearing the whole block was on fire.

The flaming plastic bottle bombs were being thrown from above, believed to be from the eighth floor.

The falling fire balls burnt windows and damaged the outside of the block. Two people have since been arrested.

Donna Smart, 35, has lived in the block for a month, and immediately feared the worst, waking her three children before fleeing.

She said: “I immediately thought of Grenfell. I thought the tower block was on fire, it was like flames were falling from the sky.

“I had just been to check on the kids, and was about to go to sleep myself.

“My bed is in the front room by the window and I saw these orange flashes come past the window.

“I went and looked and it was balls of flames falling from the sky.

“I panicked straight away, as you would, I got the kids up, was trying to find coats, shoes and get everyone out.

“My boy was waking up in the night saying he had nightmares, I must have slept for no more than an hour.”

Essex Police confirmed they attended the flats and arrests were made.

A spokesman said: “We were called to a block of flats on Coleman Street, Southend, shortly after 12.10am following reports of a disturbance.

“A 42-year-old man remains in custody having been arrested on suspicion of assault causing actual bodily harm.

“A 42-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.

“This issue has since been resolved through a community resolution.”

The property is managed by South Essex Homes.

A spokesman said: “South Essex Homes were made aware of an incident at Chiltern flats and are liaising with colleagues in Essex Police to ensure appropriate action in respect of this incident.”

While the fire service confirmed that multiple fire crews attended the incident, firefighters confirming that no further action was needed.