A BELOVED teenager died after the motorbike he was driving struck a reversing car, an inquest has heard.

Denny Richardson died in the crash on Leigh Road, Canvey, at 8.05pm on May 2 last year.


Tributes - Denny died in Leigh Road, Canvey on May 2 last year

The 17-year-old had been driving a motorbike with a friend when the bike struck a car which was reversing out of its driveway.

The inquest, held yesterday at Essex Coroner’s Court in Chelmsford, heard the motorbike had been travelling at 63mph on the 30mph zone.

Denny and his friend were thrown from the bike and landed on the road.

Paramedics attended the scene, but tragically confirmed he had died.

A post mortem examination carried out at Southend Hospital found a cause of death to be traumatic head, chest and abdominal injuries.

Speaking at the inquest, coroner’s officer Andre Kimche told the court Denny had traces of drugs and alcohol in his system.

However, the levels were far below the legal limit and would not have had an impact on his driving.

The incident was investigated by PC Mark Hemmingway of Essex Police’s collision investigation unit.

Speaking at the inquest, the now retired PC Hemmingway said: “It’s highly unlikely that at that point it [the motorbike] could have been seen when the car was reversing.”

Denny’s mum, Sam Ramplin, questioned why the driver of the reversing car had not heard the motorbike approaching.

She said: “Why didn’t he hear the motorbike? We can hear them come, we have all got eyes and ears, we can all hear it.

“It’s one of my questions that will haunt me.”

Coroner Michelle Brown recorded a conclusion that Denny died in a road traffic collision.

She said it was in “very tragic circumstances” and offered sympathy to his family.

'Denny was taken too soon'

Denny Richardson’s family say he is missed by many every day.

The 17-year-old was described as a “free spirit” and “independent and strong”.

Hundreds of tributes were left at the scene of the crash following his death in May last year in Leigh Way.

Due to how many there were, a new tribute site was set up at the bee statue in Canvey Central Park.

In July last year, more than 200 people attended his funeral in St Mary’s Church, Benfleet, which was covered by the Echo.

The funeral saw a police escort and a convoy travelling from the island.

In a character reference read out by coroner Michelle Brown at the inquest yesterday, his family told of how many of his pals would look to Denny for advice and guidance, as despite his age, he was very mature.

They described how he was interested in the Second World War during his childhood, and loved his motorbike.

It was said he could “take a bike apart and put it back together again”.

Denny was also due to start an apprenticeship at a car garage just weeks after he died.

His mother, Sam Ramplin, said Denny was a “good boy” and had been taken far too soon.

He was said to have “charisma and a great personality”.