URGENT advice has been issued after a cigarette end caused a shed fire.

The fire service say the discared cigarette butt caused the shed fire on Gladwyns, Basildon this afternoon.

The shed has remained intact, with crews extinguishing the fire only minutes after arrivng just before 1pm.

Watch Manager Rob Fossett, from Basildon Fire Station said: “Cigarettes can cause lots of disruptive damage if not discarded properly.

"I’d urge the public to ensure cigarettes are properly stubbed out before disposing of them.”


Bomb squad blows up live grenade found by children in play area

Man charged with attempted murder after woman 'hit by vehcile' at Amazon warehouse in Tilbury

The fire service has issued the following advice: "Make sure your all cigarettes are fully extinguished.

"Take extra care when you’re tired, taking any sort of drugs or have been drinking alcohol. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning.

"Never smoke in bed - if you need to lie down, don’t light up. You could doze off and set your bed on fire.

"Never leave lit cigarettes unattended - they can easily overbalance as they burn down.

"Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn. Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.

"Tap your ash into an ashtray, never a wastebasket containing other rubbish – and don’t let the ash or cigarette ends build up in the ashtray.

"Use child safe matches and cigarette lighters and keep them safely out of the reach of children.

"Fit and maintain a smoke alarm - a working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999."