TWO teenagers suffered stab wounds during a mass brawl which erupted in Chalkwell, sparking a huge police operation to control the crowd.

Fifteen police cars were spotted near Chalkwell rail station as police moved in to tackle the crowd of people were seen fighting in Chalkwell Esplanade, near the beach.

Some had weapons.

The Essex Police helicopter guided officers from above as they moved in to disperse the crowd in Chalkwell, believed to be made up mainly of teenagers.


Later in the evening, the police operation was extended to Chalkwell Park where many police cars and ambulances could be seen.

>> What about the parents? Calls for them to take responsibility over mass brawl

Two 15-year-old boys were taken to hospital, Essex Police said.

One had head and leg injuries, including a stab wound to the leg.

The other had a stab wound to his arm.

Police say none of their injuries are life-threatening.


An 18-year-old man from Basildon was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and possession of drugs, and a 20-year-old man from South Ockendon was arrested on suspicion of affray.

They have been released on bail.

An eyewitness, who was driving past Chalkwell train station around the time the incident happened but wished to remain anonymous, said many of those involved in the fight appeared to be teenagers and young adults.

She said: “There were roughly around 15 police cars and vans all blocking the road past the train station and probably just less of about 100 or so people all gathered and being held outside.


“We were stuck there long enough to see a small fight break out which then resulted in all police running straight into the crowd to break this up.

“After that happened they finally got the police dogs out of the van which seemed to calm the crowd down.


“Then we drove through and they closed the roads off.

“It’s not something you see every day so it was a bit of a shock.

“There were four of us in the car and we could say we were slightly shaken up by it as there was just a lot going on, especially as we didn’t really know what had happened at the time.”

Police say they are continuing their enquiries to identify other people who may have been involved in the incident.

The police helicopter was reportedly hovering over Westcliff into the early hours of Saturday morning.

The bridge near Chalkwell station was cordoned off during the incident.

33 stopped and searched after large-scale disturbance

DOZENS of people were stopped and searched after police officers were given special powers following a double stabbing in Chalkwell.

Officers used the Section 60 order in the Chalkwell Park area to stop 33 people but say no weapons were found.

The additional powers were put in place between 8.45pm on Friday and 6am on Saturday following the mass brawl at Chalkwell Esplanade.

Police say they were able to disperse a large crowd at the scene.

But officers were then called to further reports of a group gathering at nearby Chalkwell Park, where there were reports of loud music being played.

The park was closed and the group were moved on.

Additional stop-and-search powers were granted to allow police officers to search anyone without reasonable grounds.

The new powers were put in place amid fears of further unrest.

Though no weapons were found, one person was given a community resolution for possession of cannabis and two vehicles were seized for having no insurance.

In an update on the police investigation into Friday’s incident, Det Chief Insp Jim Sandford said on Saturday: “I know this incident was very concerning for local residents and I would like to thank them for their ongoing support and their understanding.

“Our officers responded quickly and robustly to deal with those who felt it was acceptable to cause disorder and as a result of this action their behaviour was curtailed.

“We are continuing to support the two young victims who were injured and detectives have been working throughout the night to investigate what happened.

“Incidents like this are thankfully rare and our officers worked alongside colleagues from the British Transport Police to swiftly deal with the disorder.

“The additional stop and search powers and patrols were put in place to prevent any further crimes and it is reassuring that of those people stopped, no weapons were found and there were no arrests made.

“Officers patrolled throughout the evening and continue to do so to ensure people feel safe, and I would urge anyone with information about yesterday’s incident or any concerns to please speak to them.”

The stop and search powers were enforced in Chalkwell Park, as well as sections of Kings Road and Chalkwell Avenue.

British Transport Police officers were also given additional powers in the aftermath of the stabbings.

Detectives say they have had a number of witnesses come forward to help with their investigation and are appealing for anyone else with information to contact Southend CID.

Call police on 101 quoting reference 1144 of July 24.

You can can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.