A HOB that was turned on by accident started a fire in a home.

Two fire engines were sent to Rosberg Road, Canvey yesterday morning at 7.12am after a resident heard smoke alarms going off.

A fire service spokesman said: “On arrival, crews reported that the kitchen was heavily smoke logged and worked to extinguish the fire by 7.52am.

“The fire was caused after the hob was accidentally turned on and set fire to a pan on top of the hob.

“The resident suffered some smoke inhalation and was left in the care of the ambulance service.”