RESIDENTS have been told to stay inside after workshop fire saw thick black smokes billow across Chadwell St. Mary.

The fire, at Linford Road, started around 5am this morning - glowing flames could be seen which were rapidly spreading.

A total of five crews battled for more than an hour to get in under control.

A large amount of plastic inside the workshop was giving off a large amount of harmful smoke - firefighters urged residents to stay inside and keep windows and doors closed, as well as warn the public to avoid the area.


Fire - thick black smoke came past residents' homes

Firefighters were still at the scene at 9.30am this morning dampening down the area and making sure it was safe.