A JEALOUS dad smashed his wife’s phone with a hammer before beating her so badly he broke her nose.

The horrific attack took place in front of a child.

Sean Young has been spared jail after carrying out the frenzied attack on his partner in their home.

The 34-year-old, of Norfolk Avenue, in Leigh, had had been living in the same house as the victim but they had been separated for some time when the attack took place.

The incident unfolded after Young became angry because his former partner had started a relationship with another man.

Prosecuting, Max Hardy said: “She was on the ground floor of the home and he was upstairs.

“He came home and went to her on the telephone. She went to pick up the telephone and he grabbed it and smashed it with a hammer.

“He stood in front of the door and said she wasn’t leaving.

“He started striking her to the top of the head and said: ‘I can do this all day’. He headbutted her to the nose.

“The defendant’s son came downstairs, and the defendant left the house and smashed the windscreen of her Peugeot.”

About £95 worth of damage was caused to the car.

Police were called to the scene and interviewed the victim and photographed her injuries.

When Young was arrested, he told officers he had “done something”.

The woman was taken to hospital where she had suffered a broken nose, and went for an MRI scan for possible brain injuries, but thankfully she had not suffered any.

Mr Hardy added: “The victim speaks about being afraid of being at home and living with flashbacks.

“She felt guilty about what happened but can’t understand why.

“She spent five days in hospital with morphine to control the pain.”

Mitigating, Chris Whitcombe told the court Young has a “low likelihood” of re-offending following the incident on November 16 last year.

He said: “The child became distressed, saw his mother’s injury and then he [Young] left and destroyed the vehicle.

“The pre-sentence report shows his determination to not behave this way in the future.

“There is no prospect of reconciliation at all and the defendant takes no issues with the restraining order.

“He has played by the book.”

Sentencing Young at Basildon Crown Court on Wednesday, Judge Andrew Hurst gave Young a two-year suspended prison sentence, 20 hours of rehabilitation and a five-year restraining order.

Young admitted causing actual bodily harm and criminal damage.