A VILE predator has been jailed for more than a decade for raping a woman and sexually assaulting another.

James Frost raped a woman in his flat in March this year, and then sexually assaulted another in her own home in Southend a few days later.

The 39-year-old of Kursaal Way, Southend, was jailed at Basildon Crown Court today for rape, sexual assault and assaulting emergency workers.

Prosecuting, Gareth Hughes told the court Frost had approached his first victim while she was out drinking.

He said: "She first went to an off-licence and then to Londis grocery store.

“When she rang a cab company there was a two-hour wait, and the defendant offered to walk her home.

“At one stage they sat on a bench and he exposed himself to her.

“She told him she wasn’t interested.

“He changed tack and asked her to come home for a drink. She agreed, but just for a drink.

“They put some music on and sat on a mattress on the floor. She said he was acting weird."

Frost then pounced on the woman, removing her clothes and raped her, while she screamed and tried to fight him off.

Mr Hughes continued: "She was able to kick him off and bash him off with her arm. Her survival instinct had kicked in.

"She told him she had stomach ache and went to the toilet.

“She was able to get to the front door and was able to get out of the flat and walk home."

Frost attacked his second victim on March 30 at around 1am.

Mr Hughes said: "She heard the bell going and got dressing gown on and went downstairs.

"She peered through the letter box and saw light coloured jeans and thought it was her friend.

"She opened the door slightly but realised it was this defendant.

"She tried to shut the door but he barged his way in.

"He shut the door and pushed her against the wall."

Frost then sexually assaulted the woman against the wall, but she managed to fight back.

Mr Hughes said: "She remembers hitting him against the head and for some reason he backed off and he said 'I'm sorry'.

"She called 999."

After he was arrested, Frost assaulted two police officers.

Recorder David Osborne gave Frost a 16-year sentence, including 11 years in prison and at least five years on licence when he is released.

Investigating officer PC Caroline Thrower, said: “James Frost subjected two women he did not know to horrific ordeals.

“He is clearly a dangerous offender and Essex is a safer place with him behind bars.

“I want to praise the bravery of the two women he attacked and their courage throughout this investigation.

“I hope knowing he will spend a significant time in prison will help them to move forward.”