Firefighters have issued safety advice after a chimney went up in flames in Wickford. 

Crews from Wickford and Chelmsford were called to deal with the fire at a property in North Crescent at around 6pm yesterday (Tuesday, April 6). 

They arrived to find 20 per cent of the chimney alight, and they called in an aerial ladder platform so they could extinguish the fire from the roof.

Firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze by 8:20pm.

Read more:

Essex Fire Service says many chimney fires are preventable and that regular inspections and cleaning will help prevent issues. 

It has also issued the following safety advice for households with chimneys:

  • Have your chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood
  • Do not stack fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you go to bed
  • Use a fire or spark guard
  • Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them
  • Inspect your chimney regularly - particularly in the roof space - to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks
  • Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly. Suitable seasoned timber must be used in all solid fuel stoves
  • Buy only suitable fuels. Using the wrong type of fuel on a liner will reduce the life of the liner considerably due to increased corrosion