Here’s our round up of the cases and criminals in the courts this week.

Two men are standing trial for attempted murder. Ben Ince, 41, of no fixed address and Paul Bruns, 53, of York Road, Southend, are standing retrial at Basildon Crown Court charged with attempted murder after the man was set on fire in Southchurch Avenue on October 30, 2019. The trial continues.

Three men have been jailed after a knife was held to a man’s throat after he was thrown to the ground as he walked home in a robbery in Queensway, Southend on November 25 at 11pm. Jason Wynne, 35, of Station Street, Saffron Walden was jailed for three years and five months, while Scott Breakwell, 31, of Sutton Road, Southend, and Rickie Kerry, 27, of Great Ranton, Basildon, received one year in prison.

Echo: Jailed - Jason Wynne, Rickie Kerry and Scott BreakwellJailed - Jason Wynne, Rickie Kerry and Scott Breakwell

A man has been acquitted of sexually assaulting a woman in Leigh. Thomas Cooper, 24, of Rayleigh Road, Leigh, stood trial for allegedly sexually assaulting the woman by forcibly kissing her. The alleged offence took place on Christmas Day in 2019. Mr Cooper always denied sexual assault, but had already admitted assaulting another man that the woman had been walking with.

A man caught carrying a knife in Southend told the court he took it from another man who “lunged at him” after he asked for directions. Anthony Muranga, 29, is standing trial at Basildon Crown Court charged with having a weapon in a public place following an incident in Southend. Giving evidence on the dock, Muranga claimed he took the 3.5inch vegetable knife from a man in the Southend Cliff Gardens on June 12 last year. He then fled before being stopped and arrested by police in Alexandra Street, Southend.


A YOUNG dad broke a doorman eye sockets after being thrown out of bar in Southend. Josh Boreham, 22, of Swanage Road, Southend was jailed for 10 months at Southend Magistrates Court for attacking the off-duty doorman in Queens Road, Southend on March 17 last year. The court heard Boreham and his friends were thrown out of Revolution Southend after smoking cannabis. The victim quit the industry after the attack.