TABLES and chairs were thrown as a “mass brawl” broke out at a screening of the Euro cup final held at Roots Hall stadium, with a witness describing it as a “warzone”.

A fan, who went to the venue to see the Euro final on the big screen in the fan park, watched in horror when the night took an ugly turn when England lost.

He slammed a lack of security present as the violence ramped up on Sunday night.

A man was left with injuries to his mouth following an assault where he was hit with a chair during the fight.

One witness, who asked not to be named, branded the event in Southend a “disaster”.

They said: “Me and five of my friends booked a table for six for the fan park they had in the car park.

“1,500 people were meant to be attending but it was quite evident that there were quite a few more than 1,500 people.

“Not once did me or my friends’ tickets get scanned. We just walked straight in after being searched.

“At full time tables and chairs were getting thrown about everywhere and cans were being thrown.

“I saw three people fully get knocked out in a mass brawl which the security was completely absent for.

“The whole event was a disaster from lack of security to the violence at full time. All while young kids were in attendance.”

Read more: Couple ‘violated’ after burglars raid home and take car weeks after they moved in

It comes as police had an extra 80 officers working on the night of the final and attended 30 incidents across the county.

Some disturbances were reported across Leigh, Southend and Basildon.

The event at the stadium was organised by HJ Promotions.

A spokesperson for HJ Promotions said: “Prior to the event taking place we liaised with relevant authorities to produce risk assessments, procedures and plans.

“The event was a pre booked ticketed event and we arranged security as per the safety certificate. Customers were enjoying the atmosphere and football.

“We are aware of a minor incident after the final whistle and that incident was dealt with efficiently by our security and on site police officers.

“The total number of spectators was 1,487.”

Police arrested a 31-year-old man from Brentwood on suspicion of affray who has been released under investigation.

A spokesperson for Essex Police said: “If you have any information about this incident, you can submit a report online at or use the ‘Live Chat’ button to speak to an online operator between 7am-11pm. Please quote the crime reference number 42/135989/21.

“You can also call us on 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”