A WOMAN who was extradited back to the UK and locked up for 18 months awaiting trial for assault has now been acquitted.

Louise Fielden said she is “disgusted” with the amount of time spent on remand and has made an official complaint for “malicious prosecution” to Essex Police.

The 48-year-old, formerly of Wickford, was alleged to have caused actual bodily harm to a person in Wickford in January 2017.

Ms Fielden fled the country in 2019 and did not appear in court after being charged, but was later extradited back to the UK.

She was set to stand trial at Basildon Crown Court in June, but on April 14, the Crown Prosecution Service notified the court it would offer no evidence against her.

Ms Fielden was then released from HMP Peterborough.

The former Metropolitan Police officer, is now living in an undisclosed location working as a landlord.

She disputes the findings of a medical report into the injuries the person suffered, but claims the investigation continued anyway.


She said: “I fought that extradition. I vehemently and robustly defended myself and I had to be remanded in jail for six months.

“I eventually lost that and came to Britain to deal with these charges.

“The allegation of ABH I believe it was a malicious prosecution.

“Essex Police refused to consider an alternative to prosecution and instead continued with the trial.”

Ms Fielden has also made an official complaint to Essex County Council.

After she fled, misconduct proceedings were held in Ms Fielden’s absence at the Metropolitan Police, which found allegations of verbal abuse, printing off confidential documents and harassment proven against her.

However, Ms Fielden continues to deny the allegations.

She said her only recourse is to employ a barrister to seek an appeal, adding that it was an option “she is open to”.

A spokesman for the Met said that the panel had contacted Ms Fielden’s solicitors but they did not indicate she would return to the UK.

They said: “PC Fielden was also offered the opportunity to participate in the hearing via video link but no reply was received.

“The fact she had left the UK voluntarily was also taken into account by the panel.

“The panel was satisfied that PC Fielden was aware of the hearing date and the details of the allegations facing her.”

A spokesman for Essex Police said: “We have received a formal complaint relating to a previous investigation into an assault in Wickford. It is currently being investigated and due to this we cannot comment further.”

A County Hall spokesman confirmed it had received a complaint and was investigating.