Here's our round up of cases in crown court this week.

A FATHER who robbed six shops armed with a hammer and a knife has been jailed for more than six years.

Russell Toye, 39, of no fixed address, targeted Martin’s stores across Basildon stealing more than £1,000 in cash and hundreds of pounds worth of cigarettes.

Basildon Crown Court yesterday heard how he carried out robberies at Martin’s in Clayhill Road, Basildon, Ballards Walk and Felmores End and others in the spree from March last year to April this year.

The court was told during the six robberies £1,760 was taken in cash and cigarettes worth more than £839 were also stolen.

A FATAL New Year’s party descended into a continuous argument as guests consumed more and more alcohol before a man was stabbed, a court heard.

Hannah Sindrey, 24, is accused alongside co-defendant Kelly Blackwell, 26, of killing Sindrey’s 31-year-old boyfriend Paul Fletcher.

He was stabbed through the heart at her home in Rayleigh in the early hours of New Year’s Day.

Both women deny the charges and blame each other for Mr Fletcher’s death.

Mr Fletcher, who also went by "Dod", had become enraged with his pregnant fiancé, Sindrey, who was sneaking drinks and smoking behind his back, the court heard.

Giving evidence, Sindrey’s father Paul said he had only seen his daughter open one can of beer but prosecutors said she had been drinking far more.

GUN shots were fired at a chalet, caravan and car, leaving windows smashed and property damaged, a jury heard.

Two men are standing trial charged with a string of offences after the incident in Hovefields Avenue, Wickford last September.

Thomas Saunders, 29, of Arterial Road, Rayleigh is charged with two counts of possession a firearm and destroying or damaging property.

Thomas Connors, 24, of Merlin Crescent, Edgware is charged with encouraging or assisting in one or more offences believing they would be committed, assisting an offender and dangerous driving.

In the week at Basildon Crown Court a video interview with a victim was played in court.

He said: “I heard a gunshot and some screaming behind my property. Another man also heard gunshots and it was about six minutes later that I noticed the damage and I called the police.

“My chalet living room window which is doubled glazed was shot at and damaged.

There were pellet holes in my sons car and it is not repairable.

“There was also damage to a caravan and the cost to fix my property is between £15,000 and £30,000."