Two men have been convicted for their parts in disruption caused close to fuel sites in the Thurrock district in April.

Louis McKechnie and Matthew Powell appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court yesterday (May 24).

McKechnie, 21, of Clearmount Road, Weymouth, admitted aggravated trespass on April 11 at Exolum Storage Ltd.

He was ordered to pay a total of £339, including a £200 fine. He was also ordered to forfeit glue and a chain which he used during the disruption.

Matthew Powell, 22, of Lower Bristol Road, Bath, admitted aggravated trespass on April 10 at Exolum Storage Ltd.

Read more >>> 'One in three petrol stations shut after oil protests' - say campaigners

He was given a 12-month conditional discharge, which means the offence is registered on a criminal record and the punishment for the offence could be revisited if he offends again.

He must also pay a total of £127, to be paid at £25 a month, and was ordered to forfeit a ‘D’ lock which he had used during the disruption.

The pair are the second and third convictions by Essex Police in connection to the disruption in Thurrock.

Assistant Chief Constable Glen Pavelin said: “We have consistently said our priority during this time was to ensure the safety of all those involved in the disruption; be that our own officers, other emergency services colleagues and indeed those causing the disruption.

Read more >>> Police making more than 20 further arrests as climate protests continue

“Thankfully, in each instance, officers were able to act quickly to ensure the affected sites experienced minimal disruption and fuel supply was not adversely affected.

“We welcome these convictions, which are our second and third respectively, and our investigative teams continue to build cases against a number of others.”

The pair appeared alongside 12 other people, who all denied charges against them.

They are next due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on August 8. A three-day trial has been set for the same court to begin on September 20.