Fire crews were called to a chip pan fire at a takeaway.

Fire service bosses have praised the owners of the business in High Road, Benfleet for swift actions.

Crews were called to a store in the High Road, South Benfleet, at 11.14am today.

A chip pan had caught fire but major damage was averted thanks to the owner who isolated the heat supply, used a dry powder extinguisher and evacuated the premises quickly.

Watch Manager Wayne Davey from Rayleigh Weir Fire Station said: “The business owner did absolutely the right thing, saved a lot of damage to his premises and more importantly no one was hurt.

"The fire was near on out when we arrived so we just had to deal with that and clear the smoke. It really shows the importance of having the right extinguishers, a smoke alarm and knowing exactly what to do.”