A GROUP of armed men chased a teenager through Old Leigh, only for one of them to be fatally stabbed when they confronted their target, a court has been told.

Louis Dawkins, 21 and Flynn Symonds, 33, are standing trial at Basildon Crown Court for their involvement in the incident which led to the death of Luke Bellfield, 18, on February 26, 2021.

The jury at Basildon Crown Court was told yesterday how the trio were chasing a teenager who was also armed with a blade.

Prosecuting, Richard Scott said: “This is quite a sad case where three men including these two defendants chase a fourth man, and all four of these men were carrying knives.

“When the fourth man stands his ground he turns and stabs one of those chasing him to the chest and that third man, Luke Bellfield, died as a result of his injuries.

“Louis Dawkins, Flynn Symonds and Luke Bellfield chased the man - Alfie Pollard - into an alley and there is a knife fight between the four men.

“CCTV shows Luke Bellfield leading the chase with a machete-style knife. He is stabbed and the other two men keep chasing Alfie Pollard.

“The other men realise Mr Bellfield’s been stabbed and Mr Symons carries him out of the alleyway.”

In March, an inquest ruled Mr Bellfield died after starting the knife fight while carrying a machete. It concluded that Mr Bellfield died as a result of a stab wound to the heart.

Alfie Pollard, 19, of Woodside, Leigh, who was involved in the incident previously admitted possessing a bladed article in a public place.

He was sentenced at Basildon Crown Court on January 30 to five years and six months in a young offender institution, in relation to the knife offence and various drugs offences.

Mr Scott added: “Witnesses said they heard Mr Bellfield groaning.

During a tearful police interview Mr Symonds said the group were going to meet a friend.

“He said he didn’t know Mr Bellfield had the knife until he got it out.”

Dawkins and Symonds are charged with violent disorder and having a bladed article and Symonds is charged with having an offensive weapon. Both men deny the charges.

The trial continues