A MURDER victim died after suffering an 8cm knife wound from his neck up to his mouth, a trial heard as the jury retired to consider their verdict.

On Friday, the trial into the death of Matt Portwood was summed up by judge Ian Graham before the jury were sent to make a decision.

Jamie Lewis, 24, and Keiron Aransibia, 28, were both charged with murder after Matt Portwood, 42, died from a stab wound to his neck after a fight broke out outside the Haystack Pub, in Furtherwick Road, Canvey on February 4.

Judge Graham summed up the case on Friday at Basildon Crown Court after the jury heard information from pathologist Dr Virginia Fitzpatrick-Swallow.

Judge Graham said: “Dr Fitzpatrick-Swallow ruled the cause of death as a single stab wound to the left side of the neck, penetrating the left jugular vein and carotid artery.

“This cut continued to the back of the mouth where it stopped, causing uncontrollable bleeding which led to Mr Portwood’s death.

“This death would not have been instant, it would have taken a few minutes and the stab was caused by a bladed weapon with a single cutting edge.

“The cut was measured at eight centimetres and the degree of force used was described as moderate.”

Further injuries were found at the back of Mr Portwood’s head, as well as others “consistent with someone who was in a fight”.

The other injuries were not thought to have contributed to Mr Portwood’s death.

Judge Graham added: “The stabbing went from left to right and slightly downwards in a single motion.

“The grip used was moderate and the injury to the back of the head was caused by a slicing motion as well.”

During the trial, Jamie Lewis alleged that Mr Portwood attacked him first and fell on top of him, causing both men to fall to the ground.

Lewis said he saw a “shining” object on the floor which he picked up in a panic as Mr Portwood fell on him, alleging this was possibly when the stabbing took place.

Judge Graham added: “Dr Fitzpatrick-Swallow added the scenario of Mr Portwood falling on Mr Lewis was not likely and not consistent with his injuries.”