FIREFIGHTERS have tackled a fire in Basildon flat after a resident "fell asleep" with food on the hob.

The incident occurred at a flat in High Barrets at 5.15pm on Wednesday.

The rescue operation was prompted by neighbours who heard smoke alarms blaring and noticed smoke seeping from the property.

Upon arrival, fire crews discovered a chip pan on the hob engulfed in flames, resulting in the apartment being shrouded in smoke.

Firefighters promptly provided first aid to a resident who was suffering from smoke inhalation.

Highlighting the value of smoke detectors, Crew manager Kris Mortimer said: "The resident had put some food on the hob but had left it unattended and fell asleep.

"Luckily the neighbours heard the smoke alarm going off and called us.

"It shows how important it is to have working smoke alarms at home.

"They don’t just alert you to a fire, they can also alert neighbours and passers-by."

Following the incident, the affected resident was left in the care of the ambulance service.

Mr Mortimer added: "I would like to urge people not to cook if you are feeling tired.

"If it had been any longer the situation could have been much worse.

"We would like to praise the neighbours for their swift actions in calling us after they heard the smoke alarm."

The East of England Ambulance Service has been contacted for comment by the Echo.