A "dangerous" teenage driver has been taken off the roads in Southend after two weapons were seized when officers chased a stolen car across the city.

On Friday, a 17-year-old boy, from Shoebury, who cannot be named, was sentenced to a youth detention and training order for six months following an incident in Southend.

On May 22, at around 12.25pm, officers responded to reports of people brandishing knives inside a vehicle in Ruskin Avenue.

After the call came in, specially trained pursuit officers were on the tail of the vehicle in question by 1.10pm, signalling for it to stop by activating their blue lights.

The vehicle, a Ford Kuga, was later found to be on cloned number plates.

The Kuga failed to stop for officers and a dramatic chase followed through Southend and into Great Wakering.

During the pursuit, the Kuga was driven onto the wrong side of the road, over the pavement near the entrance to a school and reached dangerously high speeds.

After entering High Street, in Great Wakering, officers cut the Kuga off, blocking and making tactical contact with the vehicle to prevent any further risk to the public.

The driver, a 17-year-old boy, from Shoebury, was swiftly detained, and two blades – a knife and a machete – were recovered from the Kuga.

The 17-year-old was arrested and later charged with possession of a knife, aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence and driving without insurance.

Smashed - Police stop 'dangerous driver' in south Essex high streetSmashed - Police stop 'dangerous driver' in south Essex high street (Image: Essex Police)

He appeared at Southend Magistrates’ Court on Friday, where he admitted the charges.

At a sentencing hearing at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on June 14, he was sentenced to a youth detention and training order spanning six months.

He was disqualified from driving for 15 months and must take an extended test before he can hold a licence.

Want to read the Echo's latest crime, court, and inquest coverage in one place? Sign up to the crime and court update newsletter to get the latest stories sent straight to your inbox every Sunday at 12pm.

Detective Sergeant Daniel Thrale, from Southend's criminal investigation department, said: "I would firstly praise the two officers involved in what was an entirely professional pursuit of the car in question.

"We received credible reports the occupants of the vehicle had dangerous weapons and as such the number one priority was ensuring those weapons were seized and taken off the streets.

"As the pursuit progressed, this priority shifted to bringing the vehicle to a stop as quickly and as safely as possible.

"The manner of the suspect’s driving was appalling and posed a substantial risk to the public.

"In bringing this pursuit to a close, the officers involved had to make a split-second decision to try and block the vehicles path, which resulted in contact being made.

"This was a significant collision which caused injury to the officers.

"They were back on duty within 48 hours. Both would undoubtedly say it was just another day on duty protecting the public.

"This case is a prime example of the lengths we will go to in order to tackle knife crime of any kind in Essex."

A 16-year-old boy, from Great Wakering, was also arrested on suspicion of possession of a knife, theft of a motor vehicle, and aggravated vehicle taking. He remains on bail until July 21.