A person has suffered burn injuries after firefighters rushed to a south Essex pub following reports of a blaze.

Crews were called to a pub in High Road, Horndon on the Hill, after a fire broke out in the kitchen at 2.48pm.

Upon arrival, firefighters reported that the fire had spread quickly up the extractor fan and through vents, consequently affecting the upper floors and roof.

Firefighters were swift in containing the fire, which was reportedly at The Swan.

At 3.40pm, incident commander, station manager Russ Freeman confirmed the situation was under control whilst crews continued to extinguish hotspots.

He said: "There were lots of people at the venue when this fire started as today marks one of the biggest events in the pub's annual calendar.

"Unfortunately one person in the kitchen suffered burns but there are no other injuries.

"Because of the nature of the old building, fire and heat can spread quickly and access can be difficult, but our firefighters did a brilliant job in surrounding it and bringing it under control.

"We will now take our time to cut away sections where needed to make sure we reach all hotspots and make the scene safe."

At 4.20pm, firefighters reported the fire had been completely extinguished.