The Bull Inn, Dagenham pub won't be demolished for 72 homes

The Bull Inn in Dagenham remains standing a year after its demolition was approved <i>(Image: Google)</i>
The Bull Inn in Dagenham remains standing a year after its demolition was approved (Image: Google)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.
Close Icon

Find, save and share Public Notices that affect you in the area.

Search the Public Notice Portal What is the Public Notice Portal?

What is the Public Notice Portal?

The Public Notice Portal carries statutory public notices published in local newspapers and is the fastest and most effective way of finding out what is happening in YOUR neighbourhood.

Search the Public Notice Portal

An abandoned pub in Dagenham that was set to be demolished to make way for 72 new homes remains standing as the plan is deemed "unviable".

On April 9 last year, Barking and Dagenham Council approved a planning application to bulldoze all existing buildings on the site of The Bull Inn in Rainham Road South.

According to council documents, the pub closed in 2020.

Two new buildings comprising 72 new homes were proposed to be built on the land.

According to a planning statement submitted by Charles Hearsum, senior development manager at developer Hollybrook, the project was "proposed to comprehensively redevelop the site to provide high-quality and much-needed new homes".

However, a year later the former boozer remains standing and the plans have been held up due to a rise in the cost of construction.

Mr Hearsum told this paper: "Planning permission for redevelopment of the site was secured in 2025 however since then substantial increases to construction costs due to inflation and building regulation changes have made the development unviable at present.

"We continue to engage with Be First regarding alternative uses for the site in pursuance of their wider aims to regenerate the area."

The proposed buildings would have stood at six and nine storeys in height, with the taller building located fronting the junction of Rainham Road South and Ballards Road.

The proposal received several objections shortly after it was submitted in 2023, including concerns over the height of the planned buildings and parking.

In February this year, several residents and business owners further down Rainham Road South gathered to oppose plans for a new Lidl supermarket on the land of the former Jewson builders merchants.

Owner of Dagenham East Wines Manj Mattu suggested Lidl looks at The Bull Inn as a more appropriate site for the store.

“A lot of people have requested it to be put on The Bull site which is easily accessible with less problems with traffic and more safety for pedestrians," Manj previously said.

“We’re not saying no to a Lidl here but we’re saying put one in a viable space where it's easy to access and won’t harm pedestrians.

“To squeeze everything on one corner is too much – safety is the main thing."

In a September 2023 Barking and Dagenham Council cabinet report, the site of the boozer was described in blunt terms - since closing, the building had "become an eyesore in a prominent gateway site into the borough".

It said the site's appearance has "steadily worsened" and issues of anti-social behaviour had accumulated on the derelict premises.

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos