Coastguard update after Canvey emergency rescue mission

A part of the emergency response <i>(Image: HM Coastguard Canvey Island)</i>
A part of the emergency response (Image: HM Coastguard Canvey Island)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

An update has been provided following a major emergency response off the south Essex coast.

Emergency services carried out a major search of the Canvey Island coastline after concerns were raised that a person was struggling in the water.

Canvey Island coastguard teams were called at around 5.30pm yesterday (Monday, August 17) following a 999 report near Thorney Bay.

The search involved HM Coastguard’s Southend-on-Sea team, RNLI Southend Lifeboat, Southend Hovercraft, and the Coastguard Rescue Helicopter, Rescue 363, which had been finishing an incident in Kent.

Essex Police were also in attendance.

Teams searched the seafront between Holehaven Creek and Island Yacht Club, with Coastguard Rescue Officers carrying out a number of search patterns on land and water.

The operation was stood down at around 8.20pm after items spotted during the search were checked and found not to be of concern.

HM Coastguard said the incident was later confirmed to have been a false alarm made with good intent.

A spokesperson said: "The caller did the right thing.

"They thought they spotted someone in danger and called 999 and asked for the Coastguard."

People are urged to call 999 and ask for the Coastguard in an emergency along the coast.

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos