TWO women were rescued from a flat fire in Felmores, Basildon.

Six fire crews tackled the fire in a wooden-framed building in Bockingham Green.

In recent years, there have been a number of fires in timber-framed buildings on the estate.

Fire crews said the flat was “100 per cent alight” when they arrived at the scene this afternoon.

They added it had spread to other properties.

Crews rescued two women from the flats both of whom have been left in the care of the ambulance service.

A 25-year-old woman suffered the effects of smoke inhalation.

At 4.50pm, the incident commander said the flat where the fire started was completely smoke logged and added the fire was spreading to several adjoining flats owing to the building's timber frame construction.

Crews used two hose reel jets and two covering jets to tackle the fire.

At 5.45pm, fire crews said the fire in the flat had been contained and crews were working to tackle "hidden seats" of fire in the roof space.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this stage.

Fire and police investigators wll carry out a joint inquiry.

John Harris, Essex Fire and Rescue Service assistant divisiona officer, said: "Crews did a magnificent job in preventing the spread of fire - with the construction of the flats and the location of the flat where the fire started at the corner of the block, their prompt action undoubtedly went a long way in preventing more damage.

"As it is three properties are uninhabitable tonight - the fire flat and neighbouring properties on either side. Beyond that two more flats have suffered some smoke damage.

"Crews are still on scene damping down to make sure the fire is fully extinguished and awaiting Gas and Electricity engineers to isolate power supplies so that we can leave the area safe.

"One woman was rescued by a neighbour before the arrival of crews. She was left in the care of the ambulance service. There are not believed to be any further casualties.

"Our job now will be to investigate the cause of the incident. Once crews leave the scene, we will send a relief pump to the site later this evening to ensure all remains safe."

Crews returned to the scene of the blaze at 10.30pm on Monday evening and at 7am today to ensure the blaze remained out and had not reignited.

They used specialist thermal imaging cameras to check for any hotspots.