A THUG has been jailed for assaulting an off-duty police officer and stealing his watch.

The off-duty officer had been at a bar, and became aware of two men watching him earlier on in the evening but chose not to act upon it.

As he left the bar at around 3am, a man came up from behind him and looped his arms around his neck, pulling him backwards and on to the pavement. 

A Westcliff man, Shariff Fussaini, 29, of London Road, will face five years in prison following the attack in Harrow.

Five men have all been sentenced to time behind bars.

A group of approximately 12 people rushed around the victim, and began a frantic attack, smashing a glass bottle on the victim’s arm in the process.

During the rush, an individual snatched a chain from around his neck while another man punched him repeatedly until he handed over his watch.

As the suspects left the scene, the initial victim realised his warrant card had been stolen.


Along with this, the attackers had stolen his bank cards, driving licence and Oyster card.

He immediately ran to a police station and reported the incident.

He suffered injuries including bruising to his ribs, back and shoulders, which had to be treated at hospital.

A friend of the victim tried to intervene and help him, but was immediately punched in the face and suffered significant injuries including a broken nose and a fractured jaw.

Another individual, not known to either the victims or attackers, approached the group and was punched and knocked unconscious, falling into the road.

Rodney Abrokwa, 31 of Great Cambridge Road, Enfield was sentenced to four years and six months’ imprisonment;

While Christian Bangisa, 29, of Fair Street, Southwark was sentenced to four years and one month’s imprisonment.

Daniel Agyeman, 30, of Sandfield Place, Croydon was sentenced to five years’ imprisonment;

And Iraawoosan Alba, 31, of Fuller Road, Dagenham was sentenced to six years’ imprisonment.

Detective Inspector Gavin Collins from the Met’s Operation Venice team, who led the investigation, said: “The CCTV shows these men committing a chaotic, brutal and sustained attack on the victim and others who were present on the night.

"It is clear that these individuals wanted nothing more than to steal valuable possessions from the victim.

"The attackers acted purely on their desire to steal a valuable watch, and yet the incident resulted in many individuals being physically harmed, and many more onlookers having to witness a truly disturbing incident.

“The Met takes violence against victims and its officers extremely seriously.

"The group became aware that the victim was a police officer when they found his warrant card.

"They subsequently continued to rain blows down on the victim and committed further violence against others in the area, demonstrating their arrogance and total disregard for the fact that they were assaulting an emergency worker.

“I hope that knowing this group of men will be spending a significant time in prison provides some reassurance to the victims, and those who witnessed this awful incident.

"The Met and the judicial system will not tolerate violence in any form, not least when it is committed against a person who regularly and knowingly puts themselves in harm’s way for others.”