A FOX cub that was trapped in a snare for up to two weeks was kept alive as his mother brought him food each day.

The RSPCA is hunting the person responsible for laying the wire trap, which left the three-month-old cub with horrific injuries.

The animal was heard screaming in agony in scrubland near a garden in Aragon Close, Southend, on Sunday.

Shocked vets believe the cub could have endured his terrible ordeal for up to two weeks, as his life-threatening wounds had begun to heal around the snare.

RSPCA inspector Sam Garvey, who helped rescue the terrified fox, said: “Due to the amount of time we believe he was there, we think he must have been fed by his mother because he was still quite chubby.

“The poor little thing was wedged in 2ft of bushes and bramble beyond a fence at the end of the garden. We could hear him screaming. The snare was tied to a tree and we lifted out a fence panel and cut him free.

“He was in a right state. It was horrific and the vets are not sure if he will make it. They have stitched him back together but he can’t pass urine on his own and may need a catheter. The wire had cut right through his middle, right down to his bones.”

The cub is now recovering in the Essex Wildlife Hospital in Orsett.

He was caught in a self-locking snare, more commonly used by farmers, who regularly check them and destroy any animals caught by them.

Miss Garvey added: “These traps don’t just catch foxes. They can trap cats and dogs as well. Someone laid this trap, probably because they were having a problem with foxes in their garden or getting into their rubbish, but causing an animal unnecessary suffering is a criminal offence and we will not hesitate to prosecute whoever is responsible.”

The RSPCA would like to hear from anyone who can help its inquiry. Call 0300 1234999 in confidence.