A MAN burned his hands when a petrol can caught alight as he was pouring fuel onto a lit barbecue.

Firefighters put out the flames after being called to Second Avenue, Stanford le Hope, at 5pm.

The 26 year-old man suffered minor burns to his hands.

Geoff Wheal, Corringham Fire Station Commander, said: "In this case a man was pouring petrol onto a lit barbecue and the flames flashed back into the can setting it alight. "The man threw the can onto the lawn but had already been burned. "No one should ever pour any accelerant onto a lit barbecue and petrol should never be used to get a barbecue going. "People should stick to proper barbecue lighters and carefully follow the instructions."