THERE will be no Johnstone’s Paint Trophy adventure for Southend United this season after the Shrimpers were easily brushed aside 5-2 by Dagenham & Redbridge at Roots Hall tonight.

Blues made it to Wembley for the final of last year’s competition.

But there will be no repeat this time around after Phil Brown’s side early exit following a crazy second round tie.

A quick-fire brace from substitute Cauley Woodrow saw the Shrimpers fight back to take the lead at the start of the second half.

However, they then conceded four goals in the space of just seven minutes to crash a calamitous defeat.

Before that excitement unfolded, Blues went close to opening the scoring after just 12 minutes when a curling 25 yard free kick from Ben Coker flashed just wide of the right post.

Moments later, Kevan Hurst’s low, goalbound shot - following good work down the left hand side by Ben Coker – was blocked by Abu Ogogo But, after surviving those scares, the visitors hit back to open the scoring in the 26th minute after a great work from Rhys Murphy.

The striker delightfully looped the ball over a sliding Mark Phillips before delivering a deflected left wing cross which picked out Zavon Hines who sent a 12 yard header in to the left hand side of the South Stand net.

Daggers remained on top with Hines registering a low, long range shot straight at Blues’ recalled goalkeeper Paul Smith.

That proved to be the final action of a disappointing first half which prompted Shrimpers boss Phil Brown in to making a change at the break with Woodrow coming on for Craig Reid in attack.

And, Blues should have been back level right at the start of the second half, when Jack Payne charged in to the box and created a superb chance for the on rushing Conor Clifford.

However, the midfielder’s low shot was blocked by the legs of goalkeeper Jordan Seabright when he should have done better.

The Shrimpers did not have to wait long for an equaliser though as Woodrow headed home a left wing cross from Ben Coker with 51 minutes on the clock.

The close range effort handed the on loan Fulham youngster his first goal in senior football.

And, just two minutes later, the 18-year-old was celebrating his second as he tapped home from close range after Seabright had failed to hold on to a well strong, low long range shot from Kevan Hurst.

But the effort seemed to spark Dagenham back in to life as they responded with four goals in the space of just seven minutes.

The visitors drew back level, in the 58th minute, when Matthew Saunders’ right wing cross was headed home by Brian Saah and they were soon back in front when Femi Ilesanmi’s left wing cross, on the hour mark, picked out Hines at the far post and he made no mistake with a firm six yard volley.

The visitors remained on top and made it 4-2 in the 64th minute when Smith fumbled a low shot from Saah and Chris Dickson was on hand to fire the resulting rebound in to the roof of the net.

Things soon became even more embarrassing for the Shrimpers when Daggers extended their advantage just seconds later when Luke Prosser’s back-header caught Smith wrong footed.

The experienced shot-stopper was able to stop the defender scoring an own goal but was unable to keep hold of the ball and that enabled substitute Afolabi Obafemi to tap home in to an unguarded goal.

That made sure it was Dagenham who advanced to the third round, despite a late red card for Gavin Hoyte for a poorly timed tackle on Coker.