FLEETWOOD Town recorded their first ever win against Southend United this afternoon, cruising to a comfortable 2-0 victory at Roots Hall.

Goals from Chris Long and substitute Ashley Hunter secured all three points for Uwe Rosler’s side who had previously gone six games without a win against Blues.

Fleetwood opened the scoring in the 18th minute when Amari’I Bell beat Luke O’Neill down the visitors’ left hand side before rolling a pass into the path of Long who fired a low, 25 yard shot into the left hand side of the South Stand net.

Another long range effort from Long was then kept out by Blues goalkeeper Mark Oxley at the second attempt before Fleetwood came close to doubling their lead in the 36th minute when Eggert Jonsson’s header from Bobby Grant’s left wing corner was headed off the goal-line by Jason Demetriou.

Moments later, a brilliant last ditch challenge from Ben Coker stopped Devante Cole from scoring before Nathan Pond headed another left wing corner from Grant inches wide of the left post.

In a bid to bring his side back into the game, Blues boss Phil Brown made his first substitution in the 41st minute with Jermaine McGlashan coming on for Adam King.

The switch bizarrely led to Luke O’Neill being switched to a central midfield role before Brown made a second change in the 55th minute with David Mooney coming on for Jack Bridge.

However, Fleetwood remained on top and came close to making it 2-0 in the 63rd minute when Devante Cole tackled Ben Coker and charged forward before sending a left footed shot inches over the crossbar from just outside the penalty area.

The visitors remained on top with Cole having an effort parried away by Oxley before Ashley Hunter’s follow up effort was cleared to safety by Coker.

However Fleetwood were not to be denied for long and they doubled their lead in the 77th minute when Hunter netted from a narrow angle after being teed up in the right hand side of the penalty area by James Ryan.

Blues had strong shouts for a penalty waved away when Bell appeared to handle the ball in the box but by then the damage had been done as Southend’s miserable start to the season continued.