Ware 1-5 Canvey Island

(Karagul 9’: Sykes 45’, Gilbey 47’, Melaugh 51’ (p), 61’, Sheehan 55’)

From Wodson Park

Isthmian North

A BARNSTORMING 15 minute spell after half-time saw Canvey Island come from behind to crush Ware in the Isthmian North.

Ryan Melaugh scored twice in a thumping win for Danny Heale’s side in Hertfordshire.

The Gulls had a chance after just two minutes of play, with Mitch Gilbey’s corner played back to Sam Collins. But the skipper’s strike whistled over the bar.

Jack Giddens was donning the gloves for Canvey, having joined on a month’s loan from Billericay Town, and his first action came after eight minutes, blocking Yannick Kamanan’s free-kick.

But the stopper couldn’t stop Ware taking the lead. Marcus Milner crossed following a short corner and Murat Karagul’s header found the net.

Desperate for an immediate response, Canvey were the width of the post away from an equaliser on two occasions. George Sykes’s header flicked the upright first and Elliott Warren’s follow-up struck the same upright.

Melaugh shot over when a square pass to an unmarked Gilbey may have been a better option.

And Canvey’s luck didn’t improve as the half went on, with Sykes denied what was seemingly a clear penalty after a trip in the penalty area.

But the Gulls were to get a goal for their first half display when Sykes got on the end of a Merrifield cross to volley home from near the penalty spot.

Boss Danny Heale was sent to the stands at half-time but that didn’t impact negatively on his charges.

Canvey scored twice in five minutes to forge ahead, Gilbey tucking away the first two minutes after the break and Melaugh scoring from the penalty spot six minutes into the half, following a foul on Sykes.

Sheehan prodded home a fourth from close range to continue his excellent form in front of goal.

Melaugh made it five on the hour with a stunning strike from 15 yards and five was enough in the end.

Canvey Island: Giddens, Pitty, Dumas, Merrifield, Warren, Sheehan, Charles, Collins (Craddock 65’), Sykes, (Adeniji 77’) Gilbey, Melaugh (Nesbitt 77’)