SOUTHEND United ended their League One season with a drab 0-0 against Bristol Rovers – despite the Pirates playing the entire second half with 10 men.

Rovers had midfielder Ollie Clarke dismissed three minutes before after a mistimed challenge on Sam Mantom saw his shown a second yellow card.

But Chris Powell’s side were unable to take advantage.

Blues came into the clash on the back of three successive wins and, with 15 minutes on the clock, Theo Robinson scuffed a low shot straight at Rovers goalkeeper Sam Slocombe after Michael Kightly had dummied a right wing cross from Stephen McLaughlin.

In reply, Bernard Mensah saw a low shot tipped wide of the target by Blues goalkeeper Mark Oxley before the hosts came close to breaking the deadlock when Dru Yearwood teed up Simon Cox whose effort struck the ground before bouncing up and hitting the crossbar.

Moments later and, with 38 minutes on the clock, Blues boss Chris Powell was forced into a change as Yearwood limped off and was replaced by Ben Coker.

The fit-again defender lined up at left-back with Elvis Bwomono moving to right-back and Jason Demetriou switching to central midfield.

Shortly after the substitution, Rovers were reduced to 10 men when Ollie Clarke was shown a second yellow card.

The midfielder was cautioned for a challenge on Sam Mantom and was dismissed a short delay when referee Anthony Coggins appeared to forget he had already been booked.

The challenge on Mantom led to the midfielder having to be substituted at half-time with Marc-Antoine Fortune entering the action.

When played resumed, Kightly saw a curling 25 yard free-kick parried to safety by Slocombe before Robinson sent a half-volley straight at the keeper from 20 yards.

Moments later, Robinson sent a right wing cross from Elvis Bwomono wide of the left post before Rovers hit back in the 68th minute with Ellis Harrison having a powerful low shot superbly smothered by Oxley.

The Pirates soon threatened again with Tony Craig sending a close range header against the right post before the game fizzled out.

However, the point was enough to ensure the Shrimpers finished the season in 10th.