Bowers & Pitsea 3-3 Aveley

(Knight 15, Manor 51, Leahy 57: Akrofi 9(p), 90 Freeman 46)

From the Len Salmon Stadium

Isthmian North

BOWERS & Pitsea were denied at the very end as Aveley fought back to earn a share of the spoils in a six goal thriller.

The hosts had come from behind on two occasions to lead heading into the final stages before Alex Akrofi bundled home an equaliser in injury-time.

It came after a header from Callum Leahy had looked to have given Bowers the win, following a frenetic start to the second period that saw three goals in 11 minutes.

The artificial turf lended itself to both teams attacking styles and both looked dangerous in the opening exchanges – Aveley’s Tom Richardson and the hosts’ Quentin Monville threatening.

And the opening goal arrived after just nine minutes. Max Cornhill tripped Akrofi, who was turning out of danger, in the penalty area and the striker picked himself up to strike the ball home from 12 yards – the first goal Bowers had conceded in the league this term.

But only six minutes later Bowers were level against the run of play. Lewis Manor turned and shot on the edge of the penalty area and, although David Hughes made the initial save, David Knight was on hand to tap the ball home.

Correy Davidson stung the palms of Hughes as Bowers began to assert their authority on the game, with the stopper making another fine save to deny Manor from point blank range.

The momentum in the game had swung, although the Millers remained a threat on the counter attack.

Level at the break, the second period needed just 30 seconds to spark into life. The ball dropped to Andy Freeman 25 yards from goal and he sent a superb bending drive away from Bowers stopper Andy Wilton and into the top corner.

But, just as was the case in the first half, Bowers needed just six minutes to level.

Monville’s fine cross was dropped by Hughes and Manor was well place to slide home the loose ball.

Bowers had the wind in their sails and five minutes after drawing level they moved ahead for the first time in the contest.

Monville was again the provider, this time from a long throw, and Leahy held off his marker to flick over Hughes and into the far corner.

The game hit a lull before Wilton was called upon, making a smart stop with his legs to halt Marcus Milner in the final 10 minutes.

But there was still drama to come. Akrofi was credited with the last touch following a fierce corner in the dying moments of the clash to ensure it ended all square.

Bowers & Pitsea: Wilton, Sammons, Thomas, Stokes, Cornhill, Leahy, Monville, Sartain, Manor, Knight (Nyanja), Davidson (Dicks)

Aveley: Hughes, Love, Mvemba (Doyle), Witherspoon, Gibbs, Cross, Milner (Teniola), Gard, Richardson, Freeman, Akrofi